Friday 30 October 2015

Apple cupcakes and halloween chatter

Hello loves. I'm basically drowning in homework and all kinds of assignments, but my blog is not called a scent of stress, right? So let's just skip to fun things. Tomorrow is Halloween! Anyone excited? We actually don't even celebrate Halloween here, we have this holidays called ''Pust'' in February when we dress up in costumes and make doughnuts. The main idea is not scaring people, but chasing away winter and greeting spring. Also, when I say doughnuts, I don't mean American pastry with a hole. I admit the dough is quite similar, but our doughnuts don't have holes and they're just filled with apricot jam and sprinkled on top with sugar. I'll probably write a whole post about it in February, because I think it's too bad that so little people know about our culture.


 Let's go back to Halloween. I'm not a huge fan, but I like the idea of it, pumpkins and spooky atmosphere. Knowing myself I would probably make a huge deal out of it if I lived in USA. The problem is that stores here sell more and more Halloween related things every year and that's actually one of the reasons why I am not so fond of the holiday. I have nothing against American culture, but it's really taking over the world. That's why I didn't make any Halloween treats as planned but instead opted for a more general autumnal dessert: apple cupcakes. If I haven't mentioned it yet (hard to believe haha) I love cupcakes. They are super easy to make and there are so many varieties: from basic vanilla ones to fancy ones with papaya and almonds And there are so many that you can always find a variety that is perfect for the time of the year or holiday. I mean what is more Christmasy than cupcakes with eggnog? Not to mention how creative you can get with decorating them. Sometimes they look so cute that I almost feel bad for eating them. Everyone in my family knows for my love, so they gave me a Cupcakes cookbook a few years ago. I must admit I am getting pretty good at making them and the apple ones turned out great as well (I have to trust my family on that haha). I'll show you some pictures, so you can see for yourself.
What I did do ''for Halloween'' is that I borrowed Nightmare before Christmas in the library. I know, how come I haven't seen it before? Let's just say my family isn't a big fan of Tim Burton. To be honest I was pleasantly surprised as well: it's a really lovely movie, great songs and a nice ending, quite expected, but also not too cheesy. A true Halloween classic for sure (or Christmas, I won't get into that). Do you have any special plans?  Have a faBOOlous Halloween!
                                                          xoxo








4 comments:

  1. Oh this is so neat! I'm excited to hear about your the Halloween unlike Halloween holiday you celebrate! And the yummy sounding treats. This Halloween I might not go trick o treating, I'm 18 now but still. II will just have to wait and see what happens!
    -V

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people know about american traditions, but are not familiar with others, practiced in smaller countries. Trick o treating sounds like a lot of fun though! :) x

      Delete
  2. I love Nightmare before christmas! For halloween I am going to a halloween party my friends mom is going and then going trick or treating.

    ReplyDelete

Consider this my own virtual teashop where you can share your thoughts with me. I would love to know what you think. :)