Thursday 27 August 2015

Lack of motivation

Do you ever have those days when you just don't do anything from the moment that you wake till the time that you go to bed? I mean of course you eat and drink and take care of everything crucial for living, but you just don't do anything well productive. That was me almost every day of this summer holidays. Luckily I wasn't at home that much, so there were only like two weeks of me spending my days on you tube trying to learn new dance moves and ending up watching Dance Mums. Yeah, that happened...
I know we sometimes just need a lazy day to give our brains a rest or something, but why so many days? The thing is that just for a few days it actually feels nice catching up on everything that you've missed during school, but than after a while it gets to the point where your head hurts, your eyes hurt and you're basically bored of watching other people's life instead of living your own. Makes sense, right? So why do I still do it? During school year I always have so many plans for the summer holidays, how I'll hang out with all my friends, do a bunch of cool DIYs and basically be very  productive. See, this words just keeps on haunting me? It must have been on my mind a lot. As you can probably guess I hung out only with my best friend, did zero DIYs and we could talk about me being productive...
Summer holidays are almost over and again I have this terrible feeling of regret for not spending them differently. I had a great time in Scotland, Norway, Denmark and than Croatia and I did get some rest, but I just feel that I could do so much more. We're constantly surrounded with successful young people who have already achieved so much. You tubers who make videos for their jobs, young actors and actresses star in movies based on books that I absolutely love, singers are worshipped by millions of teenagers just to name a few. Not to mention tumblr, pinterest and other websites packed with photos of amazing DIYs, drawings, paintings and other creations of very talented teenagers. Maybe that's the reason why I am being so hard on myself, always comparing my life to life of just a small percentage of people that should never ever even be considered as average. I'm not saying that I want to be exactly like them, famous, rich and with no privacy, because we all know that their lives aren't just rainbows and sunshine and that fame has more disadvantages than advantages, but achieving something, that really appeals to me. I've been an overachiever for my whole life and my parents trying to stop me from being a perfectionist too, stopped complimenting me for my grades and good placing on different competitions quiet some time ago. One of my theories is that that's why I am trying to succeed outside the school today. I feel almost pressured to do things that I would actually love to do, but this pressure makes it forced and I lose all my motivation. It almost feels like doing homework or studying for an exam, something that you have to do and not want to. Since during school I do things that I really have to do for the sake of my education, I perhaps  get this sort of rebellious response to do anything that would include my brains and have a purpose in the summer. I just needed to completely get away from any obligations and sadly challenges as well.
I'm 100% sure that I am not the only that feels this way. I've seen so many ''relatable' posts about being productive lately that it seems like everyone experiences a lack of motivation sooner or later. Like I've mentioned before the media is bombing us with messages that all have the same idea: Being successful equals being happy. What I want you to remember is that being successful represents different things to different people. Some people don't have a big appetite for fame and fortune and they consider themselves successful when they have a loving family and friends. Those kind of people are truly the happiest. My mum always says that health comes first and that if you have enough to support your family as well, you should be happy. It's better to set yourself a more realistic goal and achieve it than to always yearn for something bigger and better that seems impossible and therefore takes your motivation away. Going on a walk with your dog and reading a new books is productive as well, your dog is happy, your mind is clear and reading almost equals learning. See? You don't have to write a novel to feel good about yourself and you don't need to have 3 million subscribers to feel successful. It's all about how you comprehend things. I also have to mention this: Little things are the ones that count. If you don't see little accomplishments as basically steps that are taking you up to your goal and you just completely ignore them you will give up, because you won't realise how far you've already come. So don't be so hard on yourself. You should always be your own biggest supporter.
It definitely helped me to write this post as everything seems much clearer and understandable when I write it down, but I do hope it helped you as well. I would love to hear your thoughts about it, so leave a comment and we can chat. Thank you so much for reading!
                                                                                  xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh, that's okay! I've definitely had some days like that! There's always the Christmas holidays :)

    Rukiya XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a Blogger Choice Awards and would LOVE for you to check it out! Thanks :)

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you commented on my blog and I clicked the link to your blog. What you have just written made me feel so much better about things I've been worrying about lately. I had so many plans for summer which I have not done, I feel that this summer was a lot different from previous summers. Makes me sad but I know I needed to do what I had to. (sorry that's confusing) As for being successful, wow, social media does a great job of making your accomplishments look tiny. You mom is right, good health and a way to support your family, is great. I was taught similar things by my mother. As long as you are happy about what you are doing in life it's all good.
    I will be subscribing to your blog, maybe you can follow back to :)
    -V

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad I am not the only one who feels this way, that's one of the main reasons why I wrote this post. Sometimes we really just need a day off and do absolutely nothing.
    Yes, social media can be a little tricky, you enjoy spending time using it, but on the other hand it can also make you quite depressed.
    Thank you so much for your lovely comment and a follow! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete

Consider this my own virtual teashop where you can share your thoughts with me. I would love to know what you think. :)