Wednesday 29 July 2015

A perfect day in Lerwick

Hello lovelies! I'm actually super excited to write this post as I'll be writing about one of my favourite destinations of all time. Try to guess...we're talking about the northernmost point of Scotland. Yes, I have gorgeous Shetland islands in my mind. To be honest I was even more looking forward to Scotland than Norway. I have this weird love for anything UK related and I even wrote a research paper about British cuisine this year. Maybe I should try out some of the recipes and share with you my poor cooking skills? Good laugh guaranteed.  :)
I don't know about you but whenever I visit new countries I have certain images in my head of how I expect the landscape and architecture to look like. Well Lerwick (the main port of Shetland islands) was exactly as I've imagined a typical Scottish city to be like. Lots of very green grassy hills with long-haired sheep and sandstone houses. We rented a car as we had to get to the south of the island for bird watching and it was also a great opportunity to have a good look around the island. It took us only 40 minutes to get to the other part of it  and on our way there we had to cross their small airport. I have never seen such a tiny airport in my entire life and keep in mind that I come from a very small country. My mum even managed to get a picture of a plane taking off right in front of us. Amazing! After a few more minutes we reached the southernmost part of the island and parked the rental car. We were supposed to look for Atlantic puffins (cute little birds with big and bright beaks, also known as ''clowns of the sea'') but in the end we sadly only saw two of them and lots of these black & white birds. Please don't ask me about their name, because I have no idea. *awkward* Nevertheless it was great with breath-taking views of the ocean foaming around the rocks and beautiful pink flowers defying the strong wind. There was a lighthouse which played an important role in Second World II and we also learnt a lot about the life of lighthouse keepers. Time passed by really quickly and soon it was  time to leave. I was really sad because we didn't have enough time to go see famous Shetland ponies but luckily we noticed them on a meadow right beside the road and my dad quickly pulled over. There was a door in the fence and it wasn't locked so we entered their paddock, me feeling a bit guilty for disturbing their leisure grazing. There were so many of them each of a different colour from dirty white to almost black. It was a picturesque sight with daises all around them, so I might just went a bit crazy with taking photos heh. I was really surprised by their height as they're very small and chubby, but really friendly. Some of them were a bit scared of us and some even let me pat them.  A perfect day or what?  hope you enjoyed reading this post and let me know if you want to read more about Scotland.
                                                                  xoxo








6 comments:

  1. The perspective of the third photo you have is top notch! I think, that after England area and France that Scotland would be my third top destination in Europe, probably because of the stone hedges. You're so lucky >.<

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don' have much experience with photography, but I love it and I really want to improve. UK was always my top destination and I want to return as soon as possible! Haven't been to Ireland yet as well. xxxx

      Delete
  2. It looks (and sounds) like you had an amazing time - the photography is beautiful.

    I'd love to hear more about your trip.

    Myself and my family depart to visit Argyll, Western Scotland, on Friday. Living in England, we'll be driving there, and the journey is set to take seven hours. However, it should be fine; providing that I remember to bring plenty of books and some decent headphones!

    Kate x
    www.theteenaspect.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did and you're so lucky to live in UK! I will definitely come back! I believe you're already back from Scotland, so I'll just visit your blog right now to see how it was. ;)

      Delete
  3. The ponies are so cute!!! Sounds like you had a fun time ♥

    marissalev.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right?! Now I really want to start riding haha:)

      Delete

Consider this my own virtual teashop where you can share your thoughts with me. I would love to know what you think. :)